Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Dealing with People

Okay, to start off, I am a very organized and structured person. It stresses me out when people stray from the plan and purposely don't follow the rules, or they aren't deadline driven like me. But somehow I'm also creative and I can think fluidly. It's weird but that's just me. Anyways, being just out of high school, I've learned so much about different types of people. Everyone is different and sometimes you don't always see eye to eye, which can either result in something good or bad. I'm going to tell you about different types of people I've encountered, and how to get along with them so that it brings out the best in both of you!

1.) The "I'll just let you do all the work" people:

Description:
-Okay so I've had to deal with people like this throughout my whole school experience, especially when we are assigned group work and projects. These are the types of people who sit back, do nothing, and still get a good grade because you did all the work to prevent yourself from getting an F. Let me repeat... they did nothing and still got an A...

How to Deal:
-These people are either lazy OR they don't know where to start or are too shy to come up with a plan, but either way, you have to become a leader. Ask them what they would like to do and if they tell you, then make that their job. If they don't know what they want to do then tell them what they need to do to contribute to the group. Give them a task, make them feel useful, needed, productive, and included. This way, they will have earned their grade, you just became a more efficient group, and it might have opened their eyes at what they can actually accomplish.

2.) The "I'm better that you" people:

Description:
-I'm not sure about you, but I don't think I know anyone who likes people that think they're better than you or anyone else.  These people are self-centered, or at least they act like it. The truth is, they might actually be really insecure, and putting others down might be their way to cope with it. 

How to Deal:
-Alright, so first of all, don't give in to them. Don't let what these people say or do affect you in a negative way. My best advice is to try and get to know who they really are before you judge them, but if that doesn't work, just distance yourself from them. You don't need negativity like that in your amazing life. Don't be mean, just accept that other people have their own troubles and their own journey.

3.) Shy People:

Description:
-Okay so this was me until about two years ago in sophomore year. I was probably the most shy and quiet person in class. Shy people usually won't tell you what their thinking, they won't openly disagree with the group, and they won't be the first to start a conversation. It's not bad, but I'm so thankful I came out of my shell because it has gotten me new friends and opened up new opportunities. I'm still kind of shy now, but I'm definitely way more outgoing than before and not afraid to share my opinion.

How to Deal:
-If someone is shy, be nice to them and include them. They probably won't tell you if they feel left out and they probably won't do anything about it either. Make sure to ask them their opinion on stuff and make them feel comfortable. Maybe once you get to know each other they'll become more outgoing! Just remember, don't force anyone to do anything, they will do what they want at their own pace.

4.) People who don't listen:

Description:
-These are the people who don't actually pay attention to you when you talk, and I know we all do this sometimes if we have a lot on our minds already, but some people do it all the time. Also grouped in this category would be people who don't stop when you ask them to.

How to Deal:
It is extremely annoying and disrespectful, and even though you may be irritated beyond belief, you must keep your composure and deal with it respectfully. Confront them if it gets to a point where you just can't stand it anymore. Sometimes they don't realize that they're not listening because they're so wrapped up with the personal stuff they have to accomplish. For people who won't stop when you ask them to, you definitely have to tell them that you've asked them about a gazillion times to stop and they haven't. Just talk it out and if they continue then just distance yourself from them or tell someone if it gets really bad.

Alright so that's all I have. Just thought this would be a neat post to make because sometimes people don't know how to deal with other people who are different than them in a respectful way. I'm definitely still learning but this is what I've learned and come up with so far, especially as I get closer and closer to the real world and farther away from the sheltered life I've lived in for the past 18 years. Anyways, have a fabulous day and don't let any negativity from anyone get you down! And don't be the one to spread negativity either!

XO, Lauren


No comments:

Post a Comment