Sunday, June 7, 2015

How to Pick Yourself Up if You're Feeling Down

Sometimes you just feel "blah" or you feel like crying and you have no idea why. Your life could be going perfect, you could have the best grades, the best friends, a loving family, etc. but that doesn't mean you always feel 100% happy. Today was one of those days. For some reason, I just felt down even though I spent the day with several great friends and did some pretty fun activities. Honestly, I'm probably just tired. My new addiction to Netflix isn't helping. But I feel like something's bothering me, I just don't know what. I generally don't tell people how I feel because of course I always want people to think I'm a happy and positive person, which I am most of the time, but I'm also human. I am much more than just one emotion.  Anyways, enough gloomy talk, I wanted to make this post about how to pick yourself up if you're feeling sad or bored, or anything like that. Here are 10 ways that help me personally pick myself up, so hopefully they'll be able to help you!

1.) Try to find a reason. I think this is the most important because if you know why you are feeling a certain way, then you're even closer to fixing the problem, and keeping it from coming back in the long run. For example, you may be upset because you feel like you're becoming more and more distant from a really good friend. Or maybe someone you trust was being dishonest with you. Perhaps people are gossiping about something that involves you and it's not even true. List some possible reasons and worries, and then try to resolve the problem/ problems. 

2.) Go for a walk or run. It helps me clear my mind if I go outside for a walk/ run. You can think about things, or it can just help you focus on something else. Any exercise generally makes you feel happier as endorphins are released and you're getting your blood pumping. Something I've been doing lately is long boarding. I did it today actually and it helped me feel a little less "blah." Yoga is also another great option!

3.) Take a shower. I'm just happier when I'm nice and clean haha. Plus, the warm water might relax you. If you feel better about your appearance and cleanliness, you have one less thing to worry about.

4.) Think about everything you're grateful for. Believe it or not, there are a lot of small things to be grateful for. For example, if you have a bed, that's something to be thankful for. There are people who have no home and are sleeping on sidewalks and at bus stops. Just put your life in perspective and realize all the amazing privileges you have, rather than what you don't have. Your troubles may start to seem much smaller. 

5.) Get good sleep. I'm not sure how sleep deprivation affects other people's moods, but I know it definitely affects my mood. I've noticed that any time I don't get enough sleep, I either don't react to anything, or I overreact to everything. Someone could have forgotten to put extra whipped cream on my frappucino and if I didn't get enough sleep the night before, that person better wish they stayed home from work. Haha just kidding, but I would probably be more upset than usual. Think PMS... or maybe worse...

6.) Do something you like/ enjoy. I love creating things. So when I'm feeling upset, I like to maybe make some jewelry, paint, sew, or something along those lines to get my mind off of things. Oooh I also like to blog or make videos, which is why I am blogging right now haha. Figured I'd put my situation to good use and make myself occupied while also working to resolve it. 

7.) Watch a funny movie or funny videos. Looking to smile? Watch something whose sole purpose is to basically make you laugh and smile. One of my favorite funny movies would be The Proposal. Makes me laugh every time, no matter how many times I watch it. I just watched Spy today too! It was pretty funny, although slightly more violent than I expected.

8.) Listen to upbeat music. I either put on iTunes radio (no I haven't gotten Pandora yet...) or I put on Beyonce and walk on the treadmill or something. Definitely makes me feel sassy and confident haha. 

9.) Hang out with friends. You can do some fun activities with them, they can be there to talk to, to hug, to cry to, to laugh with etc. Personal interaction can definitely improve your mood and make you feel less alone and helpless. 

10.) Help someone else. If you make someone's day, or do a random act of kindness, I bet you will feel much better. Everybody deserves to be happy and have someone looking out for them. It's kinda like a win-win situation, you are making someone else happy, which in turn improves your own mood. 

Well, that's all I have for today. Just remember, don't let other people's opinions dominate your emotions. Also, don't automatically assume things. For example, a friend may cancel on your monthly bff date out of the blue, and you think that she hates you and your friendship is going in a downward spiral, but in reality, her grandmother randomly showed up for a surprise visit and her mom wouldn't let her leave the house. You really don't ever know, and I'm not even sure if my example makes sense, but oh well I hope it makes at least a little sense. So have a fabulous day and just remember that you are ultimately in charge of how you feel and you can change your mood if you really want to!

XO, Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment